Dotted with aromatic spices like cardamom, cumin, and biryani masala, this Saffron Rose Biryani is a dish fit for kings! Super rich and luxurious, it has paneer, beets, and peas for a rice dish that’s full of complex textures and flavors!
It’s a super quick, one pot dish that’s makes itself in just 15 mins in an Instant Pot. Start by sautéing some spices and vegetables, then add in the rice and let it boil. A speedy 10 minutes later, you can fold in your final ingredients and a hearty, refined dinner is ready!
Serve it for dinner parties or make it for busy weekday meals and no one will know just how easy this dish is! It’s a lovely, elegant form of Indian cuisine that will tantalize the taste buds and take you on a journey of wonderful flavor!
This biryani pairs well with these daals (lentil-stew):
- Instant Pot Palak Methi Chana Dal – Spinach Fenugreek Lentil Stew
- Nepali Kwati Daal (Mixed Lentil Stew) – Instant Pot or Stovetop
STEP BY STEP VIDEO:
- Basmati Rice – is the best rice to use for a biryani because it is long grained, which gives it more texture! It also becomes very fragrant once cooked which adds another aromatic element!
- Saffron – adds a beautiful golden hue and rich aroma to the rice!
- Rose Water – brings a floral element to the flavor that complexities the dish!
- Cardamom – is an aromatic that adds a lovely fragrance to the whole dish!
- Biryani Masala – is the main source of flavor and features a mix of raw spices like cinnamon, cumin, and bay leaves!
- Paneer – adds a good source of protein and creaminess!
Dotted with aromatic spices, this Saffron Rose Biryani (Instant Pot or Stovetop) is a dish fit for kings! Super rich and luxurious, it has paneer, beets, and peas for a rice dish that’s full of complex textures and flavors!
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/2 cup paneer , cubed
- 3 tbsp carrots , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp beetroot , grated
- 10-12 mint leaves
- 2 tbsp cilantro , chopped
- 1/2 tsp saffron , soaked in 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 1/2 tsp biryani masala
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 - 3 green cardamoms , pods
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small cinnamon sticks
- 1 black cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup water
Rinse the rice and soak in room temp water for 15 minutes.
Put the instant pot on sauté mode and add ghee and heat until it’s shimmering. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, green cardamom, black cardamom, and cinnamon. Sauté for a minute.
Add peas and carrots and sauté for a minute. Drain your rice and put it in the instant pot.
Sauté for a minute until fragrant and add paneer, water, biryani masala, salt, black pepper, and half of the mint leaves. Turn off the sauté mode.
Using the back of a spatula, submerge the rice in the water. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes, making sure the lid is on sealing. Release pressure naturally.
Open the lid and put in the remaining mint, and cilantro, cardamom powder, lemon juice, saffron soaked in rose water, and beets. Fluff the rice with a fork, not vigorously mixing. The pink color of the beet should be in little pockets throughout the rice like little roses.
Your biryani is ready!
Follow the same steps in a large saucepan. When it comes to cooking the rice, use 2 cups of water instead and simply cover the pot and cook on medium low flame for atleast 10 minutes or until cooked!
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork, don't use a spoon, otherwise the rice will break and you won't see the colors of saffron and beetroot
- Make sure you use long grain basmati rice.
- I made this in an Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for step-by-step videos.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Don’t forget to tag @naturallynidhi on Instagram and hashtag it #naturallynidhi. You can also post your pictures to my facebook page.
I’d love to hear how the recipe turned out and what you think in the comment section below. Find me on and share your creation with me!
Pingback: Paneer Coconut Masala – Instant Pot or Stovetop | Naturally Nidhi
Pingback: खाना पकाने और बेकिंग के लिए गुलाब जल का उपयोग कैसे करें - अम्बाला न्यूज़