The first thing that comes to mind when I open the fridge in the morning is, “How about making an exciting breakfast from it?” Trust me transforming a dish is a quite challenging task, but then I guess that’s the fun of cooking. Yesterday morning at home, we had some boondi raita that was from dinner, the night before. Somehow, the morning rush sparked my creativity and resulted in a delicious breakfast. This breakfast recipe for Boondi Rolls is inspired by the concept of “reusing and not misusing” the food.
I took boondi raita and mixed in colorful peppers, cilantro and basil. Also, to give a sweet and spicy twist to it, I added green chilies and cashews in it. Now, looking wholesome to roll my curd-paste into, bread came to my mind. Bread is a staple in breakfasts and is a rich source of carbohydrates for energy. So, I stuffed my paste into it, tightly rolled it, and tossed it on a pan over black mustard seeds to complement its unique flavor.
It is a very easy, healthy and refreshing preparation. Make for your breakfast and feel saturated for hours till the lunch cravings strike. Serve it hot and have your mouth water over its soft, juicy and fresh flavor. I am sure the creaminess of yogurt inside and crunchiness of bread outside will not only give you a kick to start your day, but will also leave you savoring its taste well into the day.
STEP BY STEP VIDEO:
Breakfast Boondi Rolls
Crunchy outside and creamy inside, these Boondi Rolls are truly mouth drooling, flavorsome and refreshing preparation for breakfast.
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt or thick yogurt
- 1/2 cup boondi (chickpea flour droplets), masala or plain
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp green chilies
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts, broken in pieces
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder or flakes
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar, according to taste
- salt to taste
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tbsp oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- In a large mixing bowl take greek/thick yogurt. Add in boondi, peppers, onions, green chilies, herbs and spices. Mix them well.
- Use any bread of your choice. Take the edges out of bread and roll them flat with the help of a rolling pin.
- Now, put generous helping of the stuffing in the center of the bread. Roll it tightly from both sides, applying water on the edges so it sticks properly. Press it gently to make sure the roll is sealed nicely.
- On a pan place the rolls. Apply oil/butter with a brush. Sprinkle some mustard seeds and peppers for garnish.
- Once the rolls turn golden brown, flip them and apply oil/butter again. Cook them by pressing them gently till the rolls are golden brown and crispy.
- Your boondi rolls are ready! Serve them ketchup or mustard sauce.
- You can use any vegetables in the filling like grated carrots, boiled corn, grated beets or cabbage.
- If your bread starts breaking, sprinkle some water and roll them.
- Boondi Rolls taste best when served hot and crispy.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for step-by-step videos.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Don’t forget to tag @naturallynidhi on Instagram and hashtag it #naturallynidhi. You can also post your pictures to my facebook page.
I’d love to hear how the recipe turned out and what you think in the comment section below. Find me on and share your creation with me!
Looks like such a delicious breakfast idea!