I made this fluffy, spongy banana cake with toasted nuts, laced with a mellow, buttery aroma for a winter brunch party. The chocolate chips and caramelized sugar just do wonders to elevate this simply amazing cake!
Serve it with some cream cheese frosting or a simple meringue for the perfect dessert to wrap up a cozy meal . It is sure to be a hit!
Banana Walnut Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- quick oats and nuts for garnish
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar or granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk (as required)
- 2 bananas, mashed with fork
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven at 350°F (180°C).
- Grease the tin with butter or line it with parchment paper. Keep it aside.
- Now, sieve all the dry ingredients except chocolate chips and walnuts, in a large mixing bowl. This will aerate the mixture, making the cake fluffy.
- Mix walnut and chocolate chips with 2 tsp of aerated dry cake mixture, so a coating is formed. This will prevent them from sinking at the bottom of the cake while baking. Keep them aside.
- In another bowl, take oil , sugar , yogurt, vanilla essence and mix them thoroughly. Add mashed bananas to it and mix again, till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Now, slowly start adding in the dry cake mixture and fold it in gently, applying cut and fold technique.
- Add a little milk, as needed. Keep in mind that it should not make the cake too runny.
- In the end, add the flour coated walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix them gently.
- Now, pour the batter in the greased cake tin. Garnish with some quick oats and nuts.
- Put the cake in the oven and bake it on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes. To test, if the cake is done, insert a tooth pick or a small skewer and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Take the cake out and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Now, remove the cake from the mold and let it sit on the cooling rack before cutting into pieces. Enjoy!!
- For a healthier version, you can even use wheat flour instead of all purpose flour.
- Adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of bananas.
- Chocolate chips and walnuts are optional.
- Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon for a vibrant flavor.
- Cake can be stored in a air tight container for 2-3 days.
- Warm the cake before serving it with ice cream.