Few dishes are as nostalgic and comforting as a simple tomato soup. With fresh basil, roasted garlic and infused with Parmesan, this flavorful take on a classic is nothing short of heavenly!
The soup’s base — like many other classics — begins with a mirepoix: a mixture of onions, celery, and carrots. Sauté them until golden brown in some Italian olive oil and it becomes impossible for this soup not to taste impeccable!
A few other flavor secrets this soup has up its sleeve include allowing a Parmesan rind to simmer with the soup and roasting the dried herbs with the mirepoix. A Parmesan rind is often thrown out, but a tomato soup is the perfect way to use every last bit of precious, cheesy goodness by allowing it to infuse within the soup. Likewise, by roasting the dried herbs as opposed to just adding them into the broth, it allows them to release all of their oils and really add to the dish.
With the ever-so-slightly warming weather, hopefully this will be the last month for soup season, and there’s not better soup than this one to savour the end of winter! A delicious tomato base paired with roasted vegetables, Parmesan, and herbs, this soup is a warm hug you’ll be waiting to melt into!
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO BASIL SOUP:
- Roast the tomatoes! Cut fresh tomatoes in half, line them up cut-side up in baking tray and roast with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Make the mirepoix! Roast garlic, shallots, celery and carrots with some olive oil in a pan. Add in basil, oregano, chili flakes and cook till fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes! Pour in the tomatoes and cook until at a gentle boil. Then add water and Parmesan rind and cook covered until tomatoes are tender.
- Blend it up! Once the tomatoes are tender, blend it to your desired consistency.
- Add other essential ingredients! Stir in almond milk, salt, pepper, and lemon juice and remove the Parmesan rind. Infuse and simmer 5 minutes.
- Garnish and serve! Top it off with basil, almonds, Parmesan and microgreens and serve warm.
Few dishes are as nostalgic and comforting as a simple tomato soup. With fresh basil, roasted garlic and infused with parmesan, this soup is a warm hug you’ll be waiting to melt into!
- 6 tomatoes , roasted and cut in half or 1 1/2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 shallots (onions) , diced or yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 sticks celery , diced
- 1 carrots , diced
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil , fresh or dried
- 1 parmesan rind , optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- salt , to taste
- crushed black pepper , to taste
- parmesan cheese , shaved
- almonds , slivered
If fresh roasting the tomatoes, half them and lay them on a lined baking tray with the cut-side facing up. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper, and bake for 15 minutes at 350oF.
Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium heat. Add in the garlic, shallot, carrot, and celery and sauté until golden brown.
Add in the chili flakes, oregano, and basil and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Pour in the diced tomatoes (canned or fresh roasted) and simmer for 5 minutes. Once at a gentle boil, add in the water and Parmesan rind (optional) and cook covered for 7-8 minutes.
Once the tomatoes are softened, blend the soup to your desired consistency using a blender or immersion blender.
Add in the almond milk, salt, pepper, and lemon juice and remove the parmesan rind.
Allow to infuse and simmer for 4-5 minutes and then the soup is ready to serve!
Garnish with some hand-torn basil, shaved Parmesan, slivered almonds, microgreens and enjoy!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for step-by-step videos.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?