Traditional Indian gujiya, but with a festive twist. The flaky pastry is stuffed with a savory peas and coconut filling and delicately seasoned with chili and cumin. The mellowed sweetness of the coconuts works wonderfully with the hearty tones of the peas and creates this heavenly texture and taste. I’m also trying to stay healthy this Holi, so all of these are air fried!
Coconut Peas Gujiya
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp oil or ghee
- lukewarm water as needed
- salt to taste
- 1 cup peas, steamed
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp indian garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
- pinch of asafoetida powder (hing)
- 2 tsp raisin soaked in hot water for 30 mins
- salt to taste
Slurry (to be mixed into a thin paste):
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp water
- Mix all purpose flour, oil/ghee, 1/2 teaspoon salt with your finger till it is of bread crumbs consistency.
- Add lukewarm water to the mixture slowly, and knead to make a soft firm dough. Cover the dough with a moist cloth and keep it aside for 10 minutes, while we prepare the filling.
- Grind peas, ginger, cilantro and green chilies together in a coarse paste.
- Take a non-stick pan and add ghee, cumin seeds and hing till the cumin seeds crackle.
- Add peas paste and saute on medium flame for 5-7 minutes till the water dries up.
- To begin making the gujiya, knead the dough again to make it smooth. Then divide it into 8-10 small balls
- Roll a dough ball into a thin circle and place the filling into half the fold.
- Add slurry around the edges and fold the gujiya into half, in a moon shape. Take a fork and seal all the edges by making an imprint of the fork. Make sure that the fold is completely sealed.
- Gujiya is now ready to be fried.
- Brush the gujiyas with oil and air fry 4-5 gujiyas together for approx. 15 minutes at 370 degree Fahrenheit – timing may vary based on airfryer.