Ever wish you could transform your favorite drink into a dish? Well now you can enjoy the tropical, tangy flavor of a piña colada through this pasta salad with a luscious dressing, crunchy vegetables, and fresh pineapple chunks!
The dressing is a fruity, Hawaiian blend of coconut milk, pineapple juice, and soy sauce that makes for a Polynesian flavor! It’s like a spiced version of a piña colada for more umami and well rounded flavor.
The pasta also features some delicious, fresh vegetables like 2 colors of cabbage, peppers, onions, and edamame that makes for a crunchy, protein-packed dish.
Serve this pasta at a summer barbecue or poolside party and watch it become an instant hit! It’s a great way to enjoy the original piña colada taste but with more nutrients for a full meal!
- Coconut Milk – adds richness to the dressing and enhances the piña colada flavor!
- Pineapple Juice – brings a lovely freshness and brightness to the dressing!
- Soy Sauce – increases the umami flavor and contrast the lighter notes of the fruits!
- Chili Flakes – bring a nice sharpness and heat that really spices up the dish!
- Cabbage – adds some beautiful color and crunch to the pasta!
- Cavatappi Pasta – sauce can stick to, makes for a delicious, juicy salad!
- Edamame – adds protein to the salad.
- Onions – bring a great sharp flavor!
- Pickled Red Peppers – add a nice tang and acidity to cut through the sweetness and richness!
- Microgreens – for flavor and freshness; good source of nutrients.
HOW TO MAKE PIÑA COLADA PASTA:
- Make the dressing! Pour all of the liquids and seasonings into a food processor and blend away! You should get about 1 cup of dressing.
- Mix! Combine all of the veggies, pasta, and seasonings into a large bowl.
- Dress it! Drizzle in the dressing and top it off with the pineapple and some garnishes!
- Make it in advance. The pasta is best made a few hours in advance as the flavors need time to infuse and blend with each other.
- Add a protein! Customise it by adding a protein of your choice (e.g. tofu, chickpeas) to make a complete meal.
Enjoy the tropical, tangy flavor of a piña colada through this pasta salad with a fruity Hawaiian dressing, crunchy vegetables, and fresh pineapple chunks! The pasta also features delicious, fresh vegetables like cabbage, peppers, onions, and edamame that makes for a crunchy, protein-packed dish.
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice , canned
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 5 cups cavatappi , cooked
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage , shredded
- 1/2 cup green cabbage , shredded
- 1 cup pineapple , diced (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper , julienned
- 1/3 cup onions , julienned
- 1/3 cup edamame
- 3/4 tbsp green chilies , chopped
- 1/4 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup cilantro , chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- pickled red peppers
- pumpkin seeds
Blend all of the dressing ingredients using a food processor or blender. Pour the dressing aside into a small bowl and keep in the fridge, so the flavors infuse.
Mix all of the vegetables, seasonings, and pasta in a large bowl.
Add in the dressing and pineapples. Mix it together and garnish with some pickled peppers, microgreens and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
- The pasta is best made a few hours in advance as the flavors need time to infuse and blend with each other.
- Add a protein of your choice (tofu, chickpeas) to make it a complete meal.
- For making pickled red peppers, take 4-5 red jalapenos (chopped in rounds); boil 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp sugar and some salt and pour it over the peppers. Cool the pickles before refrigerating.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for step-by-step videos.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?