Pulao is one of those dishes with endless variations and recipes that we all love. This Beetroot Tawa Pulao is a recipe I love to make on busy days or when I just want to have something quick, simple and full of flavors.
It’s a quick, delicious, flavorsome take on the classic Bombay tawa pulao and is truly an ideal comfort treat that is hard to resist. Each bite is filled with delicately spiced veggies, paneer, and rice sautéed in butter and finished with pav bhaji masala. Accompanied with any variety of raita, papad, salad or pickle, I’m sure you’ll fall in love with this wholesome meal every time you make it!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT TAWA PULAO – MUMBAI STYLE:
Beetroot Tawa Pulao - a quick, delicious, flavorsome take on the classic Bombay tawa pulao that will make you fall in love with each buttery bite! With garlic, homemade chili paste, and pav bhaji masala, reinvent this classic for a fresh, wholesome meal!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onions , diced
- 1 green chilies , minced
- 1 inch ginger , minced
- 1 large tomatoes , de-seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup green cabbage , chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers , chopped
- 1 small beetroot , grated and squeezed
- 1/2 cup paneer , cubed
- 2 1/2 cup cooked rice , preferably made 2 to 3 hours before
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1 1/2 tbsp homemade kashmiri chili-garlic paste , more to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- salt , to taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro , finely chopped
- 4-6 kashmiri red chilies , or 2 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp oil
- water , as needed
To make the kashmiri chili-garlic paste, soak the kashmiri chilies in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Then, blend with cumin, garlic, oil, and water as needed. The consistency should be relatively thick. Use the paste as needed in the pulao and the rest can be stored in the fridge.
Heat some oil and butter in a large pan and sauté the onions, ginger, green chili, and tomatoes for 1-2 minutes. Then, add in your cabbage, bell peppers and kashmiri chili garlic paste. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes, we want the vegetables to retain their crunch.
Add in your beets, pav bhaji masala, and salt. Stir until combined and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Then add in your paneer and toss until coated.
Now, add in your rice, peas, lime juice, and cilantro. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until well-combined and your Beetroot Tawa Pulao is ready! Serve it with raita, papad, and masala onions — enjoy!
Massage everything together with your hands and enjoy!
- The rice should preferable be made 2 to 3 hour in advance. In case, you don't have that much time, then make the rice and spread it on a kitchen towel in a single layer for half an hour before using. This will remove all the extra moisture from the rice.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for step-by-step videos.