Melons and mangoes are my weakness. They are so juicy, refreshing and tantalizing that I wait for them to come in season every year! This time for an afternoon barbecue at my friend’s place, I decided to make this refreshing and cool Citrus Melon Salad.
I knew that the combo of using three different types of melons (honeydew, watermelon and cantaloupe) would probably be overpoweringly sweet in a dish. So, keeping this in mind, I made a dressing for the salad that would cut through melons’ flavor, so the sweetness would be enhanced and not suppressed. I mixed together a beautiful array of fresh orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil and maple syrup. The fresh juices added just the right amount of tartness and sweetness to the salad, while the final sprinkle of basil, salt and pepper gave a very zingy, zesty essence to it. Also, subduing the sweetness of melons, initially, I mixed in some cucumber, blueberries and strawberries with them. I finally garnished it with pistachios, pumpkin seeds and feta cheese. The overall garnish left the salad with a gorgeous crunch and a nutty and salty tone!
The Summer Citrus Melon Salad was a huge hit at the barbecue! It was the perfect accompaniment and went really well with some fruity mimosas and seasonal coolers! Try it for your next picnic or potluck party and bask under the sun enjoying the refreshing story told by this melon salad!
STEP BY STEP VIDEO:
Summer Citrus Melon Salad
Summer Citrus Melon Salad - with 3 varieties of succulent melons and a bold, sweet and spicy dressing, this salad is undoubtedly fresh and juicy! Try it for your next picnic or potluck party and bask under the sun enjoying the refreshing story told by this melon salad!
- 1 1/2 cups melons (honeydew, watermelon, cantaloupe)
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- salt to taste
- feta cheese
- mixed nuts
- pumpkin seeds
- Zest a lemon and an orange.
- Finely chop a 1/2 inch knob of ginger.
- Chop some fresh basil leaves.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange and lemon zest, ginger, orange juice, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, basil, roasted cumin seeds, and maple syrup. Whisk the ingredients together and set the bowl aside.
- In a larger bowl add melons, strawberries, blueberries, and cucumbers.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and give it a nice toss.
- Garnish with some feta cheese, mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds, and serve on a bed of greens. Enjoy!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for step-by-step videos.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?